Thursday, October 21, 2010

504 meeting

I got a call this week to finally schedule a 504 meeting.  Monday (10-25) is the date we set.  Please make a mental note, I'd appreciate your thoughts and prayers. 

The call didn't go as I had hoped.  The person on the other end said, "we'll meet and get everyone's ideas".  I informed her that I had already written a very detailed 504 (that she should have a copy of) and suggested that maybe we could just read through that and make edits as necessary.  "That's not how we do these things," was her reply.  "We all need to collaborate and then I will make it all nice and neat."  I felt like this was a dig at me.  My 504 is very professional looking.  I took more than 2 weeks this summer to research and write the most detailed, professional 504, to ensure my daughter's safety and they are throwing it out.  I am feeling a bit agitated about that.  I am a busy mom of four and time is gold.  I feel like they just stole from me something so precious that you can't put a price on it.    

All that to say, I am feeling a bit discouraged and not looking forward to Monday.  I don't want to go in to this meeting all defensive.  Some days my emotions get the best of me and all I can do is cry.  That'll be just great, a blubbering mom who can't pull it together.  I will keep you posted...

4 comments:

  1. They didnt use my version of the 504 either... don't take it personal. I would just go through it and make note of those things you are not willing to remove. Then have your reasoning to back it up. It will be fine. Just remember... you don't have to sign it until its right.

    best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you, all! I hope it goes well. Just go into the meeting confident... Knowing God has it in control ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm praying for you!!!! PRAYING!!!!! Remember that you will OWN that meeting. YOU are in charge of D. They're in charge of listening to you and doing whatever needs to be done to keep her safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be praying for you on Monday! Don't take it personally, I bet that is their standard answer. They want it to be a "team" approach. As a teacher, I appreciated when parents came to these meetings with an idea of what they wanted it to look like. Remember, the "look" of it is not what's important though...it's the details. I agree with Lora...take yours and highlight the points that you are not willing to give up. If they want to "re-write" it, let them. Just make sure your points are included.

    ReplyDelete