Thursday, January 27, 2011

Too good to be true??

I have to honestly admit that after reading Shannon's post, I was a bit jealous.   We have had no one who has tried to understand our world and take on the responsibilities.  Well, I should clarify.  I did leave Bekah with my sister (who is a nurse) in charge at my parents house (my husband was there but was napping) while my other sister and I went shopping for about an hour.  My mother-in-law has taken an interest and took the girls and David for "grandma camp" one day this past summer.  My husband and I were able to go out to lunch sans kids, it was very nice.  My parents are working on getting brave enough to take her and so is my father-in-law.  It is a HUGE responsibility so I am not hurt by their tentativeness.  I would just love to go on a date night with my husband with no worries about D.  I do know that in an extreme emergency, there is a family that I could turn to that also has a daughter with T1D who was dx 5+ years ago and has used a Ping (insulin pump).  I began to pray that God would bring me just the right person to come along side and offer to help out so Jason and I could have a date night.  It is awkward to ask because most people don't like to tell you no and I wouldn't want anyone who is not comfortable trying to take on the responsibility of caring for my daughter.   My prayer was specifically that they would offer...

Today, after I had given Bekah her bolus for her hot lunch, David and I walked her purse with her meter, back down to her classroom for her. Her teacher and I chatted for a bit about an upcoming field trip. Then out of the blue she said, " this has been on my heart and if you don't mind, I'd like to offer you some respite care. It's probably hard for you and your husband to get a date night and I know how to take care of Bekah and would be happy to have her and David over some evening"  I think my jaw dropped to the floor.  This is the woman that I trust with Bekah's care for 6 hrs a day 5 days a week.  I can't think of a better person, plus Bekah has a relationship with her.  That is huge in Bekah's world.  She does not like meeting or being around adults that she doesn't know well.  (For the first 4+ years of her life, I don't think my sisters had heard her talk).  I told Mrs. M that Jason and I hadn't been on a real date for over a year and she immediately told me to plan something for around Valentine's Day. 

I'm so excited!!  I get to go out on a date with the hottest guy I know! ;) Woohoo!!

7 comments:

  1. How incredibly awesome is that!!! Enjoy your date night...you guys deserve it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I am seriously cheering for you. We are blessed to have my mother a nurse and my mother-in-law (who knows d care because of my husband having t1d). So...enjoy. I can't wait to hear how the big date night goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome!! I'm Glad for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful for you! I hope you have an amazing night out with your man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WooHoo!!!!! I love it when God answers a wish just to see us happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm SO happy for you!! What a blessing! Hug her neck for me, would you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that's fabulous I am so happy for you and jealous all at the same time. It is so hard to find people to "babysitt" for us, I don't know when my husband and I went out together last, years ago. Have a great date you lucky gal you :)

    ReplyDelete