Saturday, May 15, 2010

(Diabetes blog week day 7) Dream a Little Dream


This is the prompt for today's blog: "To wrap up Diabetes Blog Week, let’s pretend a cure has been found. We are all given a tiny little pill to swallow and *poof* our pancreases are back in working order. No side effects. No more insulin resistance. No more diabetes. Tell us what your life is now like. Or take us through your first day celebrating life without the Big D. Blog about how you imagine you would feel if you no longer were a Person With Diabetes."

We have had some tough days this past week so I say with vigor I HATE THIS BLASTED DISEASE! (My mom taught me that hate is a very strong word and to use it with caution. Well here it fits better than any other place that I have ever chosen to use it.)

A cure would mean FREEDOM

Freedom from finger pokes and insulin injections

Freedom from worry

Freedom from fear

Freedom from not being like everybody else

Freedom from the questions

Freedom from the misunderstandings

Freedom from the tears and pain this disease causes

Freedom to sleep soundly all night long

Freedom to be spontaneous

Freedom to eat whatever and whenever with out a second thought

Freedom from the words bolus, injection, poke, A1C, lancet, needle, syringe, insulin etc.

Freedom from having to do math constantly (my mom never used this scenario when I didn't want to do my math homework as to why I needed math in real life)

Freedom, sweet freedom...

It's not my freedoms even that I am most concerned with it's the fact that my daughter could have those freedoms. She is why I do what I do and will keep doing it as long as I need to. I know eventually she will take over the roll of being her own pancreas/ nurse but, I will never stop worrying about her and her health. I am so thankful that this disease is manageable and I know things could be worse. More than likely I will get to watch my beautiful daughter graduate high school, get married and become a mom. There are so many things that she will be able to do T1D or not and for that I am grateful beyond words but it is a tough life and today doesn't seem fair. I watch the kids in the neighborhood play carelessly knowing that any minute I will have to have Bekah come in to check her BG level and I want so bad for her to be "normal" again. Where I could let her play with out a care in the world. I dream of that day and I pray fervently for a cure in her life time so that she will know the joy of sweet freedom from T1D.


I have so enjoyed this week of getting to know many of you! I will continue to follow your blogs and lives. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment