Saturday, July 3, 2010

Singing the lows...

Bekah's BG has been pretty consistent at night. I'm not sure why but she has these 2AM spikes. Almost every night her numbers are usually in the 200s at 2:00 but by morning she is at 130ish. We have tried adjusting lots of things and nothing seems to solve this so we just roll with it. It is what it is and she is correcting her self so no reason to stress. The CDE even suggested that we stop checking at night. (I'm so glad we haven't listened to this advice)

My wonderful husband is a night owl so he has taken on the job of 2AM checks. Last night he was working at cleaning the garage and went a little late so he checked at 3AM. He came in and said "I got a 67 so I rechecked and got 68. Juice box? and recheck in 15??" I mumbled "mhmm" as I pulled the covers up over my head. What seemed like only a second later, I hear "hey hon I got a 69 now, I just want to check with you, a second juice box right?" I sat straight up in bed. I was totally awake now. He got her a second juice and we recheck in 15 and get a 76. Seriously?!! WTH is going on? I did nothing different. She wasn't extra active, in fact it was raining so we spent a lot of time reading and coloring. The only thing I could figure was that as I was drifting off to sleep I thought to myself "I'm so glad we have not had one of those nightmare nights of chasing lows that I have been reading about on the blogs". Yep that must have been it, D heard my thoughts.

After the 76, I went downstairs and made some chocolate milk for her. 15 min later 142. Whew! I go back to bed but can not sleep. I know I need to recheck in an hour to make sure it sticks. I spend time thinking about all of my new found friends whose blogs I read and their kids and saying a prayer for each one. I prayed for each of my kids and then look back at the clock. 5:00 time to recheck. 225! I'd much rather a high than a low. I'll correct in a few hours if she stays high. At 8:30 I get up and go check again 156. I breathe a sigh of relief and thank God for getting us through a scary night.

The rest of our day was pretty great. We all got up and went to a 4th of July parade. After the parade we went to my parents' house for a BBQ. My dad makes the best BBQ in the west. Seriously the man should be on Pit Masters or something. He takes his BBQ very seriously. Today he tickled our taste buds with brisket that he slow cooked on his Traeger . Yum-O! We did have one low at Grandma and Grandpa's house. I later realized that Bekah had only eaten half of the amount of bread that I bolused her for.

After spending the afternoon hanging out with my folks we went home and then took Megan and her BFF out to celebrate her birthday which is Tuesday. We were going to go skating but the skating rink was closed so we went with our back up plan and spent the evening mini-golfing and topped of the night with a famous Steak burger real ice cream milk shake. (David and I split a french fry because he has a dairy allergy that seems to bother him even through my milk so I don't eat any dairy either). It was Bekah's first time golfing.

D may have tried to kick our butts last night but we made the best of it and didn't let it get the best of us. (That is not Bekah's Diabetes bag in the photo. I would never make her carry around a bag that big all of the time. She just got that bag in the mail from JDRF and has to take Rufus and his D stuff with her every where.)

H A P P Y 4th of J U L Y to all of my blogging buddies out there!!


  1. Hate, hate, HATE those middle of the night HUH??? moments. Sounds like you got through it like a pro! Great job!

  2. Oh Sweet Friend, I'm so sorry you had one of those nights! Sometimes I just don't get it, but I'm so glad you got through with flying colors! Isn't God good?!

    We had a crazy night night last night. 2am 180, I debated correcting, but then he self-corrected to 103 by morning. SO GLAD I DIDN'T CORRECT! Whew!

    Just so you know....those times when I'm up in the middle of the night, I'm praying for my new buddies, too. We are all in this together!

    Go enjoy some fireworks! : )

  3. The middle of the night chases are the pits for sure!!! I am glad you caught it.

    Happy 4th

  4. I know the worry of chasing lows at is so much more intense than the days. I'm glad your husband was on top of it, and that you all continuted to check her even when given the green light to stop. I don't think I could sleep soundly if I didn't do a middle of the night check! Hope you had a wonderful 4th!

  5. I have had the same thought about not chasing lows...guess I better not get too comfortable with that thought! Glad everything worked out OK.

  6. Much prayers to you. :) You don't know me. But I was inspired by your blog. Much love to you and your family ♥