Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Nirvana

One of my sisters and her kids were visiting this past weekend. Bekah loves playing with her cousins! We all but camped out at my parents house from the time they got there until the moment they left.

There were stressful times for Bekah, not having the food she is used to at home and having to decide if she was really going to eat all of the bread or not the crust. There were stressful times for me trying to factor in the activity when I gave her a bolus. She did have a couple of lows but caught them in the 70s. We even remembered to bring the Lantus to Grandma and Grandpa's house so I didn't get fired this week =).

I usually go to bed before my husband so he does the 2 AM check (I'm so thankful he is a night owl). At 5 AM I woke with a start. I asked my hubby what Bekah's BG level was when he checked, "114", was his reply. I had to double check, "That was 1 14 right?" My mind began to race if she was 114 there is a good chance she'll crash (after all she had been in the 200s at 2AM and waking up in the 130s the past few days), she played so hard today surely the extra activity will cause her to crash, she had a couple of lows today what if her Lantus needs to be adjusted, she might crash, crash, crash, she is gonna crash! (at 5 AM I don't think rationally) . I must have muttered something of the sort out loud because I remember hearing my husband say to me "she will be fine".

Very rarely do we check more than once in a night. I stared at the ceiling for a few minutes and realized that all I was going to do was lie there and worry so I might as well drag myself out if bed and go check on her. I tried to poke her finger and she got angry and put both hands under her torso as she rolled over to her belly. I heard some one recently say that toes are less sensitive than fingers so I went back to David's changing area and grabbed a couple of baby wipes. I washed off her foot and poked her heel. No blood. So I squeezed, Bekah woke a slight bit and kicked me. Bekah has not got a mean or even sassy bone in her body. She was still asleep and didn't know what she was doing really. I can't blame her. What a rude awakening, someone poking you and making you bleed in the middle of the night. I decided that I just needed to trust that God was watching over her and she was indeed going to be ok.

I'm not sure how but, I went back to sleep. I had the most wretched dream. I will spare you the gory details but the main point in my dream was Bekah's BG level was 37! Again I woke with a start and went to check Bekah's BG level. I walked in her room and sighed a huge sigh of relief as I watched her chest rise and fall. Thank goodness, she is breathing. This time she was in a deep sleep with her little hand outstretched as if she were waiting for me to come in and check. She didn't even flinch as I poked her finger. I held my breath as I waited for the glucometer to beep and flash a number at me. 114. That meant for the first time since she was dx her BG level held steady at 114 all night long. This my friends is called Blood Sugar Nirvana!! (the phrase was coined by a fellow D blogger). Even though I had hardly slept I was on cloud 9 all day. Wow! Who could have thought that a number could make me feel so good =).

3 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME!!! :) I have also had those times at night where I have woke up and just had to go and check my daughters bg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victory!! Congrats on a great night, I'm so sorry it was filled with worry and crazy dreams though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it...Blood Sugar Nirvana!!!

    I have had waaaaay too many nights where I just HAD to check my girls blood sugar or I wouldn't get a minute of sleep, I know that feeling all too well.

    So glad that she was holding steady all night, that is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete