Wednesday, June 1, 2011

lump in my throat

I just got word today that Bekah qualified for a campership to attend camp.  Tonight it is raining again and the kids and I are snuggled up on the couch watching Camp Rock.  As I watch the camp scenes, I have a huge lump in my throat.  We do everything together as a family.  This summer some of Bekah's most unforgettable (I hope all amazing) memories will begin to be made with out our family.  As much as we love and support her this disease called diabetes is her cross to bear and there will be time when we have to trust her or others to help her carry that cross.  This summer will begin that journey.   There will be six days where I have no clue what her numbers are and have to make a plan for each one.  6 days of no measuring or bolusing food.  5 nights of  sleep that won't be interrupted by D.  Yes it will be a nice break but I have to admit I am a tad bit scared. I am not scared of the camp not handling her diabetes well, that is what they do.  I'm more scared of her getting homesick and wanting me to hold her or what if she has a night mare or wets the bed.  She is so little and no one knows her like I do.  She has a difficult time finding her voice to let others know what she needs.  I know it will all be ok and it will be a great experience for us all in my head but my heart is a different story all together.  Is my baby girl ready for this??  She is beyond excited and I know she will have a blast and experience "same" like she can in no other venue.  Oh be still mommy heart of mine. 

6 comments:

  1. I don’t usually reply to posts but I will in this case. WoW big thumbs up for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!!!!!!!!!! What a fantastic opportunity :) YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited! Thrilled! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    PS -- You can do it too, MAMA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This sounds like an amazing experience for Bekah. I totally understand your worry though. Vent here to all of us...we are listening/reading AND we will be cheering you both on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are in the exact same boat on this!! Bean will be going to D-camp at the end of June and as much as I know she's going to love it, it has me in knots! My little vaca at the moment is helping a bit....BUT she's still at home with Ubergeek, so it's not like I'm totally out of the loop!
    Just have to trust those at camp that they know what they are doing (duh, of course they do, but still not like I know with MY Bean) and trust God that He's going to be with her the whole time doing a way better job of 'helping' her than I ever could!
    We'll get through it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow ive not come to this place yet. my son hasnt stayed with even 1 other person besides my husband or i since diagnosis. you are just a wonderful mummy allowing he an independent experience like camp... and what an awesome opportunity D camp would just be so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for the campership!!! She's going to do great and so will you! Though I know exactly where your heart is. Jack isn't going to overnight D camp until next year, and already I'm feeling those sentiments!

    ReplyDelete